< Majors and Minors
The Creative Writing major immerses you in the study of great literature and the art of generating your own fictions, poems, essays, plays, and screenplays. Through it, you come to know the elements of the writer's craft and the imaginative energy of the writer's life.
As a Creative Writing major, you will experiment with different creative forms, skills, styles, and devices. Develop a distinctive creative voice and style. Gain advanced aptitudes in a specific genre. And produce a self-designed senior writing project. Holistically, the Creative Writing major will enable you to:
- Read closely, critically, and innovatively
- Write clearly, eloquently, and artfully
- Know a rich range of literary terms, forms, genres, periods, theories, and writers
- Study creative genres in distinct historical, cultural, biographical, formal, and theoretical contexts
- See writing and literature as something that can enrich, complicate, and transform the human experience
- Produce original, extended writing projects
Learn More in the Catalog
Learn more about this major in the catalog. If you are an existing student, be sure to look at the year that you entered Otterbein.