Learn by Doing
Not only will you receive an exciting educational experience in the Department of Equine Science at Otterbein, but you'll learn by doing. You will trim hooves, make your own horse shoes, give injections, and bandage legs, just to name a few of the skills taught here. You will attend local shows and trade fairs such as the Equine Affaire, veterinary seminars, Quarter Horse Congress, and Rolex. Otterbein also encourages student research.
Choose from Three Majors, One Minor
We offer a variety of equine science degree programs including equine preveterinary medicine, equine business management, equine veterinary technology, as well as a minor in equine studies. Learn more.
The Department of Equine Science provides a transformative educational experience preparing students to participate effectively, professionally and ethically within the growing equine industry. Instruction is enhanced by our commitment to provide:
- Authentic experiences through hands-on applied skills and industry involvement
- Interdisciplinary and collaborative learning experiences
- Exploration of the human/equine bond
- Creative and professional development
- Technological competency
- Development of leadership in the equine industry including civic engagement, and local and global sustainability.