Sport Management Major
One of the Top Programs in North America
The Sport Management program at Otterbein University was granted special distinction by receiving national approval/accreditation from the North American Society for Sport Management-National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASSM-NASPE) Sport Management Program Review Council.
About the Program
This program has been reviewed and analyzed according to 10 core content areas in sport:
- Behavioral Dimensions
- Management and Organizations Skills
- Legal Aspects
- Internship Experience
These core content areas are aimed at providing students with the knowledge and practical experiences necessary for pursuing a career in sport management.
The sport management major also requires foundational courses from accounting, business administration, economics, communication, and math.
An interdisciplinary knowledge base with the practical application of that knowledge through field experiences, internships, classroom activities, and case studies are emphasized. An internship in an approved setting supervised by a specialist in the field is required.
- Business Administration (Marketing, Management or Finance)
- Public Relations
- Legal Studies
Sport Management Minor
Sport Management is an interdisciplinary field of study which emphasizes a broad understanding of both sport and business. The goal of the Sport Management minor is to encourage the development of this interdisciplinary knowledge base and provide the students with the practical skills necessary for successful careers in management, promotion, administration, marketing, organizing and leading a sport business or organization. Click here for a list of courses required for the minor.
Dr. Teri Walter
Once admitted into Otterbein University, you are eligible to become a Sport Management major. You must apply to enter into the major at the end of your freshman year (32 hours completed).
How to Apply for the Major
To apply, students must:
- Maintain a 2.7 GPA, overall*
- Earn a "C+" or better in all major courses*
- Complete SMGT 1800: Professional Perspectives in Sport Management
- Complete an application which includes:
- The completed application form
- A resume
- A cover letter stating one's reason(s) for wanting to major in sport management and career goals
- Interview with a Sport Management faculty member
- Items taken into consideration for acceptance include: involvement in the Sport Management Club, NASSM, OAHPERD, AAHPERD, activities sponsored by the Department, outside involvement in working sport-related events; volunteer work, and-or other campus-related work.
*Failure to maintain a GPA of 2.7 or earn a C+ or better in all major courses will result in non-admission and placed on probation for one semester with the warning to be dismissed from the Sport Management Program. Students will not be able to register for upper division course and must reapply for admission into the program or seek another major immediately.
Transfer students must attach a copy of an official transcript. If a transfer student has not taken the preferred prerequisite SMGT courses, he/she will be accepted "conditionally" until such courses are taken.
Checklist of Requirements for Sport Management Major
Bachelor of Arts in Sport Management