All students must audition to be eligible for the Athletic Bands Participation Award. These auditions are for placement only and are not competitive. Percussion and Visual Performers may have slightly different audition expectations due to the nature of these sections.
Percussionists and Visual Performers must audition in person. For more information, or to schedule an audition, please contact Dr. Michael Yonchak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Woodwind and Brass Players may submit a recording instead of auditioning in person to be considered for the Athletic Bands Participation Award. Woodwind and Brass recordings should contain the following:
- Two contrasting etudes - one demonstrating your ability to play lyrical melodies, and a second to highlight your technical ability
- Two major scales of your choice, in your full range of the instrument
- Chromatic scale, in your full range of the instrument
Recordings can be done on cassette tape, or submitted on CD
On the tape case/CD label, please write your name, home address, and e-mail address, and mail your recording to:
Michael S. Yonchak
Department of Music
1 South Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081
- Students who have already auditioned for a Talent Award as a woodwind or brass music major or for a non-music major Participation Award do not need to re-audition for the Athletic Bands award unless they intend to participate as a visual or percussion performer.
- Percussion (drumline) and visual performer (color guard and twirler) auditions are required except in serious extenuating circumstances.