Undergraduate Research and Creative Work
Mission & Goals
The Cardinal Experience of Research and Creative Work allows students to pursue research and creative goals through work in areas of their own academic and professional interest. Students employ ideas and methods from their own disciplines to explore research questions, creative aspirations, and professional aim. Students receive mentoring from faculty in their fields. Students acquire experience in independent, innovative work and develop a sense of community through sharing their original contributions to a body of scholarship with colleagues and through public presentation. The Honors Program, the Distinction Program, and the Pack Fellowship provide students with opportunity for research and creative work. Departmental activity also offers such opportunities as senior writing projects, research projects, recitals, and exhibits. Through this Cardinal Experience students expand their intellectual mastery, commitment, and curiosity and strengthen the scholarly and creative inspiration that they share with students in diverse disciplines. Finally, consider applying for our Student Research Fund.
- Students will develop the skills necessary to perform research and/or creative work.
- Students will become proficient in the literature and/or practice of their field of study.
- Students will understand their project in context of the method used to produce the knowledge, the theory used to ground the knowledge, and the society that will value and/or be impacted by the knowledge.
- Students will expand their awareness of the world beyond themselves and beyond campus as they create new knowledge and/or products.
- Students will develop their skills of observation, synthesis, critical thinking, and communication.
- Students will understand the methods of inquiry used in their field of study and will use these methods to answer a question, develop a thesis, and/or create a product.
- Students will engage in active inquiry and/or the creative process.
- Students will reflect on the research and/or creative work and place the product in context of their field and their life.
- Students will develop a commitment to ethical standards and practices.
- Student will develop new knowledge in their field of study.
- Students will develop insights, skills and attitudes found in professionals in their chosen fields of study, which will help them to develop career goals.