Each February, Otterbein students participate in CareerFest, a job and internship fair sponsored by the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges (OFIC). Over 100 employers - businesses, corporations, non-profit groups and government agencies come to discuss permanent employment and internship opportunities. Many employers and students engage in follow-up interviews.
Also, in February, The Center for Career & Professional Development and the Center for Community Engagement collaborate for the annual Non-Profit Job & Internship Fair. Nearly 30 organizations visit campus to discuss their available job and internship opportunities.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of a Career Fair
You've got plenty of copies of your resume, you've practiced your handshake, and your interview outfit is pressed. Now what? Here are a few pointers gleaned from recruiters who attend career fairs.
- These are great networking opportunities, be professional, poised and polished! Wear the most professional outfit you own.
- Research participating organizations before the event. Know what they do, some key initiatives, and the opportunities they have available. When you engage a recruiter in intelligent dialogue, you stand out. You have limited time at the career fair, so use it wisely.
- Prepare a 15-20 second script to introduce yourself; your full name, major, class year, areas of campus involvement, why you are interested in the organization and what skills you have to offer. Maintain good eye contact and offer a firm handshake.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume. Some employers will take them, some won’t. Most employers will require you to apply for positions online to be considered as an official applicant.
- When you talk to employers, keep your conversations focused and brief. Demonstrate your knowledge of the organization and how your experiences align with their needs and can add value.
- When you give a recruiter your resume, ask what the next step in the process is.
- Ask for a business card so you can follow up after the event.
/ Center for Career & Professional Development
The Center for Career & Professional Development is located on the corner of Grove and Home streets near the center of campus behind "The Rock."
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
M-F: 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Ryan Brechbill, Director
e / email@example.com
Ashley Strausser, Associate Director/Internship Coordinator
e / firstname.lastname@example.org
Marilyn Williams, Admin. Asst.
e / email@example.com
p / 614.823.1456
f / 614.823.3052
Center for Career & Professional Development
1 South Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081
Schedule an appointment