Department of Biology and Earth Science
Associate Professor, Chair
B.A., Kalamazoo College, 1995
M.S., University of Florida, 1998
Ph.D., University of Florida, 2004 Personal Bio
Sarah teaches courses in Ecology, Vertebrate Biology and Morphology, Anatomy and Physiology, Gender and Biology, and the Integrative Studies Program. She is a physiological ecologist, with research questions focused on the nutritional ecology of reptiles and amphibians. Her primary research focus at Otterbein has examined turtle nutrition and digestive physiology, particularly as it relates to developmental diet shifts of turtles from carnivory to herbivory. She has recently expanded her program to include questions related to diet in the Red-Eyed Treefrog at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama. Publications
- Bouchard, S.S., O’Leary, C.J., Wargelin, L.J., Rodriguez, W.B., Jennings, K.X., Warkentin K.M. 2015. Alternative competition-induced digestive strategies yield equal growth, but constrain compensatory growth in red-eyed treefrog larvae. Journal of Experimental Zoology (read the abstract).
- Bouchard, S.S., Murphy, A.K., and Berry, J.A. 2010 Non-additive dietary effects and ontogenetic diet shifts in slider turtles, Trachemys scripta. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A-Molecular and Integrative Physiology. 155:264-270
- Wallace, B.P., Sotherland, P.R., Tomillo, T.S., Bouchard, S.S., Reina, R.D., Spotila, J.R., and Paladino, F.V. 2006. Egg components, egg size, and hatchling size in leatherback turtles. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A-Molecular and Integrative Physiology. 145:524-532.
- Bouchard, S.S. and K.A. Bjorndal. 2006. An investigation of nonadditive interactions between animal and plant diet items in an omnivorous freshwater turtle Trachemys scripta. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology B-Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 144:77-85.
- Bouchard, S.S. and K.A. Bjorndal. 2006. Ontogenetic diet shifts and digestive constraints in the omnivorous freshwater turtle Trachemys scripta.Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. 79:150-158.
- Bouchard, S.S. and K.A. Bjorndal. 2005. Microbial fermentation in juvenile and adult yellow-bellied slider turtle, Trachymys scripta. Journal of Herpetology. 39:321-324.
- Bouchard, S.S. and K.A. Bjorndal. 2000. Sea turtles as biological transporters of nutrients and energy from marine to terrestrial ecosystems. Ecology. 81:2305-2313.
- Density-Dependent Digestive Plasticity in Red-Eyed Treefrog Larvae, Agalychnis Callidryas, National Science Foundation, Research Opportunity Award, December 2010, $24,965
- Density-Dependent Digestive Plasticity in Red-Eyed Treefrogs, Agalychnis Callidryas, Before and After Metamorphosis, National Science Foundation, Research Opportunity Award, April 2010, $25,120
- Student Scholars for the 21st Century, Merck AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program, (co-PI with Dr. Joan Esson), January 2009, $60,000
- The Effect of Exotic Aquatic Invasive Plants on Freshwater Turtle Ecology, State Wildlife Grant, Ohio Department of Natural Resources, December 2006, $10,000