Mission & Goals
Community engagement is a form of experiential learning offered through community-based research experiences, service-learning courses, and direct volunteerism at local and global schools, non-profits and government agencies. Community engagement provides intentional opportunities for students to apply their knowledge and skills to real world issues while reflecting on their identity, self-efficacy, citizenship, social responsibility, and knowledge of the field. Service-learning is an innovative pedagogical strategy to:
- Explore theoretical models and methodologies from the disciplines
- Engage students in community-identified service opportunities directly connected to academic content, and
- Provide space for structured reflection that explores the intersection of the service experience and specific learning outcomes.
- Students will practice the integration of knowledge from the disciplines to confront complex contemporary issues.
- Students will understand the root causes of social problems and the complexities of systemic oppression.
- Students will apply problem-solving skills to community problems.
- Students will demonstrate cross-cultural competencies.
- Students will practice the skills of synthesis and analysis as they examine complex contemporary issues from interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Students will demonstrate advocacy skills.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply the social change model of leadership to community needs.
- Students will act upon community-identified needs/problems/issues.
- Students will foster collaborative partnerships.
- Students will engage in principled debate and dissent.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others and build alliances.
- Students will demonstrate civic and social responsibility toward community.
- Students will understand personal efficacy and act as an ally to others, a capacity-builder and a change agent.
- Students will practice self-reflection.
- Students will exhibit a commitment to living a purposeful life.
- Students will demonstrate resourcefulness as they discover how to solve contemporary issues.
For more information about Community Engagement, please visit the Center for Community Engagement site.