One of the many innovations occurring at Otterbein is the launch of our comprehensive First Year Experience Program. This program will aim to reach all aspects of a first year student’s experience at Otterbein. One of the signature components of the program will be the First Year Seminar. We envision these seminars to be an invigorating tool to introduce students to college level academic work, but also the unique nature of the Integrative Studies program and their overall Otterbein education.
Faculty interested in developing and teaching a First Year Seminar should contact Kate Lehman at firstname.lastname@example.org. The links below provide basic information and resources to guide the development process.
Important Dates to Hold
- Monday, August 17: 3-4pm Peer Mentor/Instructor Training
- Thursday, August 20:
- 9:30-10:30am: New Student Convocation
- 10:45am-Noon: First Year Seminar Class Meeting
- 12-1:30pm: Lunch on the lawn with FYS class
- Tuesday, September 15: 6:30-8:30pm Poverty Simulation
- Common Book Co-Curricular Event
- Registration will be taken online (limited space available)
- Wednesday, October 21: 3-4pm Common Book Convocation
Common Book Program Development Grants
Grants of up to $500 are available for the development of programs, speakers, etc. related to the themes presented in the Common Book. To submit a request, please complete this form
. Requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Interested in having the 2015-16 Common Book Author visit your FYS class next semester? If so, please complete this online request form
by Sepember 1. Jeanne Marie Laskas will be on campus October 21-23, 2015.