facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest
Campus Life

Off-Campus Living

Otterbein University considers residence life an integral part of a student’s development. As a residential campus, Otterbein University expects all single, traditionally admitted, undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours to reside in University residential facilities (excluding Greek houses) unless they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Reside at the principal residence of their parent(s)/legal guardian(s) within a 30 mile radius of campus;
  • Will have completed at least 96 credit hours by the end of spring term of the current year and have not signed a housing contract for the following year;
  • Will be 22 years of age prior to the first day of classes of autumn term;
  • Legally married or single parent residing with their spouse or child(ren) within a 30 mile radius of campus;
  • Have lived in Otterbein or other college/university residence halls for three full years (nine quarters or six semesters, excluding summers);
  • United States military veterans with 18 months or more of active military service.

Students not meeting one of the above criteria may request an exemption to this policy by submitting a request in writing to the Director of Residence Life at least one month prior to the beginning of the academic year for which the exemption is being sought, or at least ten (10) business days prior to the academic term if the exemption is being sought for spring semester.

Requests for exemption must include extraordinary circumstances unforeseeable at the time of admission to the University and documentation to support these circumstances. Petitions without supporting documentation will NOT be reviewed. Requests will be reviewed by the Housing & Meal Plan Subcommittee.

Students applying for an exemption to the housing requirement must complete the Housing Obligation Exemption Request Form (PDF), include a letter stating their reason(s) for being eligible for the exemption and attach any supporting documentation.

All students residing in off-campus locations must notify the Student Affairs Office of their address one week prior to the first day of class of fall semester by completing the Current Student Address Information Form found on the Residence Life tab of My OZone.

To assist students with the transition to off-campus houses and apartments, the Student Affairs Office provides the Off-Campus Living Resource Guide (PDF). The guide contains information about searching for off-campus accommodations, renter's rights, safety measures and important phone numbers. Paper copies of the guide are available in the Student Affairs Office.


/ Office of Residence Life

The Office of Residence Life is located in the back of Hanby Hall on Cochran Alley.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (summer)

p/ 614.823.1250
e/ reslife@otterbein.edu

Quick Links