An essay (250 words minimum) on one of the options listed below is required to complete your admission application at Otterbein. This personal essay helps us become acquainted with you as a person and student, apart from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. It will also demonstrate your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself.
Please take time to review your options and prepare your essay of choice. When you are ready, you may upload your essay when completing your admission application.
If you are submitting your essay separately from your admission application, please send it to UOtterB@otterbein.edu. The essay must be sent as a Microsoft Word attachment, or simply pasted in the body of the email. Please be sure to include your first name, last name, and address so we can match your essay to your application.
- Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.
- Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
- Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.
- Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.
- A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.
- "The world will face many challenges over the next twenty years, especially related to science and technology. Which of these changes seem the most compelling to you and how do plan to help meet it?"
- Topic of your choice.
Auditions and Portfolio Reviews
/ Undergraduate Admission
The Office of Admission is located in Clippinger Hall, 102 W. College Ave.
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (summer)
p / 614.823.1500
e / email@example.com
/ See also
/ Visit us!
We'd love to meet you! Learn more about visiting Otterbein