Thinking About Graduate School?
Save The Date: Join the Office of Student Financial Aid Services and the Graduate School staff to learn more about financing your graduate degree. All workshops begin at 6:00 p.m. in Towers Hall, Room 118.
- Summer and Fall dates coming soon!
Otterbein Graduates Get Jobs
The Graduate School New Alumni Survey was conducted in the summer of 2015 and reported in this newsletter. Alumni believe an Otterbein graduate education is a rewarding experience, a worthwhile investment, and an affordable choice among Central Ohio programs. Graduates are overwhelmingly positive about their educational experience and would recommend Otterbein to their colleagues seeking graduate education.
Standing Among Leaders: Graduate Students employed after earning an Otterbein Degree:
- Roshoyah Bernard CRNA, class of 2016 - Nurse Anesthetist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Jessica Castle FNP , class of 2016 was selected to be in the Primary Care Fellowship at Ohio State University starting this fall.
- Entire Nurse Anesthesia Class 2016 had offers of employment prior to graduation.
- Tina Glade - Program Coordinator Cancer Services at OhioHealth Grant Medical Center, MSAH
- Amanda Sampsel - Outreach Athletic Trainer at Olentangy Orange High School through OhioHealth Sports Medicine, MSAH
- Romie Graham - Assistant Football Coach- Wide Receivers at Allegheny College in Meadville, PA., MSAH
- Terry Hammett - Treasurer and Vice President of Investor Relations, Commerical Vehicle Group Inc., New Albany, OH MBA
- Colleen Philabaum - Director, Centers of Excellence, Worthington Industries Engineered Cabs, Columbus, OH MBA
- Maggie Baker, Ph.D., RN, FAAN - Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, University of Washington, MSN
- Ruth Downing -Forensic Health Care Consulting, Delaware, OH MSN
- Jill Yonchak - District Title Coordinator, Marion City Schools, MAE
- Elizabeth Ochs - Columbus Global Academy, Columbus City Schools - 6th grade math teacher, MAE C & I concentration in TESOL
- Ashley Jewel - McCord Middle School, Worthington City Schools, Intervention Specialist, MAT
- Peggy Griffith - Faculty, DeSales High School, Columbus, OH MAEM
- Cameron Kishel - Faculty, Columbus State Community College, Columbus, OH MAEM
- Brenna Michelis - Faculty, Columbus State Community College, MAEM
More Alumni Updates
- Dr. Mary Arnold Long, DNP class 2016, presented twice at the Interpele International Conference in Brazil. Her presentations: Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Moving from Traditional Based Practice to Evidence-Based Practice in Skin Promotion. Dr. Long presented in Montreal Canada on Fistula Management at the joint WOCN/CAET Conference.
- Adam Longberry, MSN, RN 2016 Nurse Anesthesia MSN graduate, gave proponent testimony for House Bill 548 on May 11, 2016.
- Julie Johnson - Adapted Physical Education, employed by Dublin City Schools. Julie is our first APE graduate!
- Melissa Wells, BSN, RN, CPAN - published “The Journey: A Story of an Associate Degree RN’s Path to Advanced Practice Nursing,” Ohio Nurses Review. July/August 2014.
- Anita Moore, MSN - received the 2014 Dissertation of the Year Award from Northcentral University. Her dissertation was titled “Experiences of African American Women Declining or Delaying Breast Cancer Surgery: A Phenomenological Study.”
Student, Faculty & Program News
Patrick Clinton, junior nurse anesthesia student is selected as 1st president of the newly initiated student board of the Ohio State Association of Nurse Anesthetists (OSANA). Patrick will also serve as the student representative for the OSANA board. Adam Longberry the current student representative will be the interim president for the student board until Patrick is installed in September.
Dr. Regina Prusinski, nursing faculty, is a co-author of an article: " Results of a Feeding Protocol in Patients Undergoing the Hybrid Procedure" for the Pediatric Cardiology Journal.
Dr. Kay Ball received the Association of periOperative Nurses (AORN) Outstanding Excellence in Perioperative education award, academia.
Congratulations to nursing faculty, Dr. Kay Ball, for being inducted into the Cornelius Leadership Congress.
Congratulations Dr. Eva Fried, nursing faculty contributing author to "Guidelines for Midwifery and Women's Health" 5th edition, 2016.
Congratulations Dr. John Chovan
, nursing faculty, contributing author to "The Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing" 4th edition, 2016
Congratulations Danielle Scharpf
, CRNA faculty - won the Ohio State University Department of Anesthesiology CRNA of the year award end of 2015.
Nursing Professor Takes Smoke-Free Operating Room Message Across the Globe
Committed to seeing healthcare workers and patients in a safe environment in the operating room, Dr. Kay Ball, associate professor of nursing, traveled to New Zealand. Dr. Ball spoke twice in New Zealand-once at the International Federation of Perioperative Registered Nurses Conference in Queenstown and once to Perioperative Nurses in Christchurch. She is a strong advocate in sharing the message regarding implementation strategies for creating a smoke free operating room. Dr. Ball also spoke at the Operating Room Managers’ Conference in Vancouver, Canada in December. She presented on the "Partnership Between Otterbein and OhioHealth to Create a Perioperative Nursing Program." Whether teaching in the classroom at Otterbein or sharing her knowledge around the world, Dr. Ball's passion for nursing is clear to all who meet her.
Otterbein Responds to Increasing Need for Nurses
Ohio’s colleges and universities are granting more advanced degrees to nurses than ever before, according to information recently published by The Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio (AICUO). “The public demand for quality care has increased steadily over the last decade and Otterbein University’s nursing enrollment has responded to the demand,” stated Barbara Schaffner, Dean of Professional Studies and The Graduate School. Read the full story
Professor Featured in Westerville Magazine
Otterbein University professor Kay Ball has made it a priority to educate her fellow nurses on the importance of their own wellness – and to ensure their working conditions are optimal for good health. Read the full article in Westerville Magazine
Nurse Anesthetist Traineeships
Project Director: Brian Garrett
Purpose: The purpose of this project is to increase the numbers of certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) in central Ohio and rural Ohio Appalachia. Before this program began at Otterbein in 2010, there had not been a nurse anesthesia program in central Ohio since 1987. This award will be used to 1) fund graduate nurse anesthesia students past their first 12 months of study, and 2) financially support minority and underprivileged nurse anesthesia students past their first 12 months of study.
Funder: Health Resources and Services Administration, 7.1.2014 through 6.30.2015