One Soldier’s Story: How Christian Smurthwaite Found a Place to Belong at Otterbein

At Otterbein University, we recognize the enormous contributions and sacrifices that military personnel and their families make to society. As a veteran who's ready to transition from soldier to student, you'll discover that Otterbein's dedicated staff is here to make sure you reach your next goal.

Read More

Special Transfer Credit Evaluation* Offer

Send us your scanned transcript and we’ll do an unofficial evaluation and let you know what will transfer, for how many credits and what the course equivalents are. No application required.

Learn More

Transfer Policies and Residency Requirements

You’ve worked hard for the college credit you have earned, and we want to help you save time and money as you pursue your degree. Our goal is to help you transfer as much of that coursework as possible, and our admissions counselors and transcript evaluators will help see to it that you get the most out of your previous experience.

Transfer policies

Otterbein accepts credits from two and four-year institutions that are fully accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agencies.

  • Students applying for transfer to Otterbein will receive an evaluation of their prior college credits once official transcripts have been received from all previously attended institutions. Transfer credit from the SMART and CCAF will be evaluated.
  • All transcripts must be received by the first day of classes
  • Official evaluations are not completed until all official transcripts have been received
  • Transfer credit will only be given for courses in which the student has received a grade of “C-“ or higher (with the exception of nursing programs which require a minimum grade of “C”). Please note: while credit hours may transfer, the actual grades received from other institutions do not, and thus will not be included in your Otterbein grade point average.
  • While there is no limit to the number of credits that may be transferred from accredited four-year institutions, a maximum of 64 semester hours may be transferred from all two-year institutions combined
  • Of the courses transferred to Otterbein from all institutions combined, a maximum of 8 semester hours will be accepted from college courses graded on a pass/fail basis
  • If a student’s academic credentials are from an institution outside the United States, a World Education Services, Inc. (WES) course-by-course evaluation of all postsecondary education must be provided. WES charges a nominal fee for this service. WES details and instructions are available at their website, Foreign credential evaluations completed by other agencies must be approved by the director of Otterbein’s Center for International Education and Global Engagement.

*All contents of the student’s admission file become the legal property of the University and are not returnable or transferable.

Residency requirements

In order to graduate from any university a student should take a significant proportion of the hours for his or her program of study from that university, take a significant proportion of hours in the major from that university, and take a significant proportion of the “signature elements” of that university’s general education requirements.

  • A minimum of 36 credit hours must be completed through Otterbein University
  • At least 12 credit hours must be completed in classes toward your major requirements (not electives) at the 3000- or higher level
  • At least 4 credit hours must be completed in each declared minor

Requirements may also include general education courses that must be taken at Otterbein.