Department of Health and Sport Sciences
Physical Education Program Coordinator
Adapted Physical Education Endorsement Coordinator
- The Ohio State University, Ph.D. in Physical Education Teacher Education, Cognates in Professional Development and Early Childhood Education
- The Ohio State University, M.A. Adapted Physical Education, Emphasis in Motor Development
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)/ Society of Health And Physical Educators (SHAPE) America
- Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (OAHPERD)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Certified Adapted Physical Educator (CAPE)
- The Physical Educator Editorial Review Board
- edTPA scorer for Pearson Education
- Secretary and Board of Directors for National Consortium for Physical Education and Recreation for Individuals with Disabilities (NCPEID)
- Head Start Body Start Physical Activity Consultant
- Adapted PE Central Expert (www.pecentral.org)
- American Heart Association Instructor and Instructor Trainer (AHA)
- America Red Cross Instructor and Instructor Trainer (ARC)
- Stanford Who’s Who 2011
- Biltmore Who’s Who 2011
- Sullivan, A.C., Maeda, J., Randall, L., and Bechtel, P. (2014). The induction process for new PETE faculty: What you don’t learn in graduate school!. Hawaii International Conference on Education 2014. Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Sullivan, A.C. and Berkowitz, R.J. (2014). Pedometer step counts in high school multiple disability classrooms. Accepted to the Hawaii International Conference on Education 2014. Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Sullivan, A.C., Berkowitz, R.J. and Dillon, S. R. (2011). Classroom teacher led physical activity in the kindergarten classroom: A pilot study. Council of University Professors and Researchers (CUPR), Toronto, Ontario.
- Dillon, S. and Sullivan, A.C. (2011). Adapted physical education in Michigan: Part II: Addressing the questions from parents, physical educators and administrators. Michigan Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Journal, Lansing, MI.
Ann-Catherine obtained her Ph.D. in 2000 from The Ohio State University in the field of physical education teacher education with dual cognates in professional development and early childhood education. She spent the last eleven years at Saginaw Valley State University as a Professor and Program Coordinator for Physical Education majors and minors, the Adapted Physical Education and MAT-Physical Education programs. Her areas of expertise include: Adapted Physical Education, K-12 Physical Education Pedagogy and Early Childhood Education. Ann-Catherine also has experience in supervising student teachers as well as teaching traditional, hybrid, and online courses at the graduate level. She obtained a National Certification in Adapted Physical Education in 1996.
She has served been heavily involved in the NCATE certification process since 1998, recently serving on the NCATE Board of Program Reviewers and as a NCATE/NASPE Program Lead Reviewer for initial and advanced programs. She has pursued lines of research in the areas of professional development of experienced physical education teachers and infusing movement to facilitate cognition in the Kindergarten classroom. Ann-Catherine has established an active research agenda and regularly presents at the local, state, national and international conference levels and has had her work accepted to numerous professional publications. Other professional service activities include implementing the NASPE Elementary and Secondary Assessment Study Pilot and Program for Standards 1-6, acting as an "Expert" advisor for Adapted PE Central, editorial review board for The Physical Educator,serving as an advisor for Otterbein's Special Olympic Student Club, as a Head Start Body Start Physical Activity Consultant.