Robert Johnson, M,A., M.F.A.
Professor, Director of Design/Technology
Theatre and Dance
Cowan Hall 08
- M.F.A. Design, The Ohio State University, 1985
- M.A. Design, West Virginia University, 1982
- B.A. Education, Bowling Green State University, 1977
Research & Teaching Interests
- Computer Graphics/Animation
- Video Editing
- Music Recording
- Author of Interactive CD-ROM, Basic Theatrical Lighting, published worldwide by First Light Video, Venice, CA. Copyright 2003
Affiliations & Awards
- Numerous (14) USITT Ezekiel Awards for excellence in scenic design.
- Scenic Designer for 42nd Street, winner of Best Musical by Central Ohio Theatre
Critics Roundtable (produced by Otterbein University).
- Scenic and Lighting Designer for the Heidi Award for Best Musical,
The Spitfire Grill (Otterbein University)
- Best Lighting Design Award from the Columbus Dispatch for lighting Six Degrees of Separation (Otterbein University).
- Best Scenic Design Award from the Columbus Dispatch for scenery for The Anger in Ernest & Ernestine (CATCO).
Rob Johnson is a full professor with the Department of Theatre & Dance at Otterbein University and serves as the Head of Design/Technology. With Otterbein since 1987, Rob teaches scenic design, scenic rendering, model-making, computer-aided drafting and a number of specialty courses in computer graphics. Recent design work at Otterbein includes the settings for the musicals Rent and Into The Woods. Rob has designed for hundreds of productions throughout his career including musicals, drama, dance concerts, and opera. He has won numerous Ezekiel Awards for his design work and he holds two degrees: a Master of Arts from West Virginia University and a Master of Fine Arts from the Ohio State University.