The International English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta represents distinction and opportunity. It opens doors. It gives students a chance to connect with students and faculty in the field, lead their local chapter, compete for several scholarships, apply for internships with major publishing companies, and submit papers for presentation and publication. Sigma Tau has over 750 active chapters, and approximately 8,500 members are inducted annually. Historically, the Society:
- Honors excellence and achievement in English studies
- Nurtures students' intellectual, personal, and professional development
- Generates interest in literature, language, and writing
- Offers community and belonging to its members
- Provides scholarship, conference, internship, and publication opportunities
- Participates in the national organization's annual BWB (Better World Books) Drive
Membership in Sigma Tau Delta rewards outstanding academic accomplishments and investments. It offers students a chance to network, connect, lead, publish, conference, and earn scholarships. Candidates must have:
- taken a minimum of two college English courses beyond the usual requirements in freshman English;
- earned a B or equivalent average in English and in general scholarship;
- rank at least in the highest thirty-five percent of his/her class;
- completed at least three semesters of college course work.
For more info, contact Faculty Advisor Phyllis Lynne Burns.