Encouraging healthy lifestyles for all.
"The Department of Health and Sport Sciences here at Otterbein University is like a family to me, and has helped me develop both professional and real-life skills that I will use the rest of my career and life."
Olivia R. ’11, Athletic Training
Demand is growing for Health and Sport Sciences professionals, as our society develops a greater awareness of health and fitness issues. The Department of Health and Sport Sciences will prepare students to become a competent, self-directed professional through sound curricular programming, dedicated faculty, and appropriate facilities and equipment.
The Department of Health and Sport Sciences of Otterbein University will prepare students to become competent, self-directed professionals.
Majors and Minors
We offer majors in Allied Health (B.A. or B.S.), Athletic Training (B.A. or B.S.), Health Education with Public Health concentration, Health Promotion and Fitness, and Sport Management. We also offer minors in Nutrition and Sport Management. Our faculty will provide you with academic advising in order to ensure appropriate course selection, assist you in identifying your personal strengths, and to enable you to pursue professional activities and opportunities that fit your talents. Learn more.
Otterbein encourages and supports student research. Learn more on the Research at Otterbein site.
We are a professionally-based department with national accreditations that form the foundation of our curriculums. Our accreditations include:
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE),
- North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM),
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE),
- American Association of Health Education (AAHE),
- National Strength & Conditioning Association Accreditation (NSCA)
- National Consortium for Physical Education for Individuals with Disabilities (NCPEID)
- Adapted Physical Education National Standards (APENS)