The OtterFit Health and Fitness Program is an opportunity for the faculty and staff of Otterbein University to use the services of a Health Promotion and Fitness major as their personal trainer, participate in group training classes and enhance wellness through educational programming and events.
Registration for personal training and group fitness classes is open until January 20, 2017. Register for Otterfit Online via Google Forms. Group fitness classes may be joined at anytime but registration is appreciated. Class size minimum is 5 and maximum is 40. Contact Erica Van Dop with questions or for more information.
Group Fitness Classes Spring 2017. All fitness levels welcome!
- Total Body Training, Mondays 3-4 pm, Erica Van Dop Strength training designed to increase muscular strength and endurance, mixed with intervals of cardiovascular and functional core exercises. Class format will change weekly to meet the needs of participants.
- Stability Ball Training, Mondays 5:30-6:30 pm, Teri Walter Stability balls and weights are used to target the entire body. The class is designed to engage all muscle groups in a fun environment.
- Yoga, Wednesdays 5:30-6:30 pm, Michelle Riegler Yoga designed for all fitness levels will move through a flow of endurance exercises designed to engage the mind and body.
- Circuit Strength Training, Thursdays 5:30-6:30 pm, Vinnie Galizio Class format will change weekly including strength training, cardio, and balance; with an added emphasis on core training.
- Yoga, Fridays 7-8 am, Kirstin Voisard Vinyasa style yoga is a free flowing practice. The practice focuses on improvement of balance, strength, and mind-body awareness. Ultimately resulting in peacefulness and a decrease in stress.
- Barre Workout, 12:15-12:45 pm, Kirstin Voisard A total body workout with a combination of ballet and dance technique, yoga postures, functional strength training, and cardio bursts. Emphasis will be on improving posture, flexibility, balance, cardio conditioning, and muscle endurance.
- Classes are open to all faculty, staff, and significant others. Pre-registration is appreciated but not required. All classes take place in the Rike Center Fitness Studio (across from the weight room). Classes run week 2 (January 17) - week 13 (April 7). No classes are held on University holidays or during Spring Break.
- Partner or Small Group Personal Training
Train with a Exercise Science and Health Promotion student trainer, twice weekly, for one hour. Pre- & post-fitness assessments as well as training sessions are included in the 10 week program, weeks 3-13. Please note, during the Spring semester individual training is preferred for student learning unless requested by participants. In addition, partners may be needed depending on the response of potential clients and the number of students currently enrolled. Training is provided free of charge.
- Experienced Individual or Partner Training
Students who have passed the American College of Sports Medicine certified personal trainer exam and successfully completed the OtterFit mentorship program are eligible to work as paid trainers. Rates are $15/hour for individual training or $25/hour for partner training.