Internships (credit-bearing) and professional experiences (non-credit bearing) are experiential learning opportunities that help students synthesize, integrate, and apply academic knowledge in work settings and solidify career and life goals. Through internships and professional experiences learning becomes deeper, more meaningful, and ultimately more useful because students are putting theory into practice. These opportunities expose students to the reality of the work place and are integral in helping them prepare for the transition from student to professional.
Opportunities to Earn this Card
Click here to see the opportunities.
- Students will connect theory to practice and vice versa.
- Students will adapt to dynamic situations; employ and develop a range of professional skills (such as technical, analytical, organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills).
- Students will practice teamwork; demonstrate creative problem solving.
- Students will exhibit a strong work ethic and initiative; display integrity in decision making.
- Students will engage in reflection and demonstrate self-awareness; display a passion and openness for continual learning.
Personalized Cardinal Experience
Many courses, co-curricular activities, research opportunities, non-credit bearing work, and off-campus experiences can serve as a Personalized Cardinal Experience (PCE). Review the application for the Internships and Professional Experience Card to determine if an experience may qualify. Each Personalized Cardinal Experience needs to be sponsored by a faculty or staff member who will help you identify how the experience will meet the criteria for earning a Card. A PCE Checklist should be completed with your sponsor prior to participation.
To start your Personalized Cardinal Experience journey complete the form below with your Card sponsor.
Personalized Cardinal Experience Internships and Professional Experience
For more information on internship and professional experience opportunities visit the Center for Career and Professional Development webpage.