< Emergency Preparedness
The key to surviving a hostage situation is staying calm and following these guidelines:
- In the event a hostage situation occurs, remain calm and immediately notify the Otterbein University Police Department at (614) 823-1222 or call 911.
- Provide as much information as possible, and, if safe to do so, remain on the line.
- If safe to do so, evacuate the building. Carefully avoid the attention of the hostage taker(s).
- DO NOT take action to intervene.
- If building evacuation is not possible, go to the nearest room or office and close and/or lock the door(s). If the door(s) cannot be locked, barricade it with anything you have available (desks, tables, chairs, etc.).
- Move away from the door(s) and stay low.
- Remain quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
- DO NOT ANSWER THE DOOR(S).
- Wait for the Otterbein University Police Department or law enforcement to escort you out of the building.