< Emergency Preparedness
Suspicious letters or packages can contain chemicals, explosives, or other items meant to cause harm to individuals or the area around the package.
- In the event a suspicious letter or package is found on campus, remain calm and immediately notify the Otterbein University Police Department at (614) 823-1222 or call 911.
- DO NOT touch or move the suspicious letter or package.
- DO NOT sniff, touch, taste, or look closely at any contents which may have spilled from the suspicious letter or package.
- If you touch the suspicious letter or package, immediately wash your hands and face with soap and water to prevent spreading potentially infectious material.
- Remain in the area to prevent contaminating others.
- Make a list of everyone present and anyone who was in contact with you or the suspicious letter or package.
- Immediately report any illnesses or injuries.
- University administration and law enforcement will determine if an evacuation is warranted based on an assessment of the threat.
- If any evacuation of the building or area is necessary, gather at the Campus Center (100 West Home Street) or another safe location as determined by the Otterbein University Police Department and law enforcement.