facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest
Campus Life

The Counseling Center

No Cardinal should be blue. At Otterbein, every full-time student is eligible for short-term counseling free of charge on an annual basis. Mental health services, including confidential diagnostic evaluations, consultations, therapy, referral for medication evaluation, and emergency triage are available.

Otterbein students who come to campus already having been in the care of a mental health professional are encouraged to contact the director to arrange for transitional care. If ongoing, long-term treatment is clinically indicated, a referral will be made to community therapists. Our clinicians can help with:

  • Homesickness
  • Relationship conflict
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Loss of a loved one
  • Changes in family dynamics
  • Disordered eating
  • Sexual identity
  • Alcohol and other drug use
  • Cognitive or behavioral health challenges
  • Whatever might be causing you distress

To make an appointment, call Student Affairs at 614-823-1250.

Staff members available for consult:

  • Kathy Ryan, Director, Counseling Center 
  • Julie Saker, Associate Dean of Students
  • Lisa Patterson Phillips, Director of the Office of Diversity
  • Bob Gatti, Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs
  • Jill McCullough, Assistant Director of Wellness

What Every Student Should Know About Title IX

  1. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is federal legislation that bans sex discrimination in education programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance. Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual violence.
  2. Otterbein University has a designated Title IX coordinator who is charged with carrying out the university Title IX responsibilities, including overseeing all Title IX complaints. The Director of the Office of Human Resources is the Title IX Coordinator, who is located at 25 W. Home Street, and can be reached at (614) 823-1130.
  3. For complaints against university employees, contact The Director of the Office of Human Resources at 614-823-1130. For complaints against university students, contact Julie Saker in Student Affairs at 614-823-1250 or jsaker@otterbein.edu. Complaints can also be made to the University Police by calling 614-823-1222 or going to one of the help-phones located on campus.
  4. To make an anonymous complaint, contact the Campus Conduct Hotline, a toll-free number at 866-943-5787 or fill out the Silent Witness online form at http://www.otterbein.edu/public/CampusLife/HealthAndSafety/Police/silent-witness-form.aspx.
  5. Who can I speak with to help me assess my options?
    • The Office of Human Resources at 614-823-1130
    • The Office of Student Conduct & Wellness at 614-823-1250
  6. To learn more about the university’s practices and policies on these matters:

/ Office of Student Affairs

The Office of Student Affairs is located in the back of Hanby Hall on Cochran Alley.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
M-F: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm (summer)

p / 614.823.1250