Writing an effective resume and cover letter can open the door to an interview, but strong interviewing skills will get you the job. The ability to articulate your skills and match them to the job in question are crucial to being hired. Like any learned skill, interviewing improves with practice, so we cannot stress enough the importance of interview preparation.
- Thoroughly researching the company and learning as much as you can about the position.
- Doing a personal skill assessment to determine how your skills match those needed for the position in question and how you will talk about them.
- Reviewing typical questions and preparing strategies for answering them.
- Selecting specific examples or "stories" that best illustrate your strengths, background and values.
- Doing several practice or "mock" interviews.
A practice interview with a Career Center staff member is a non-stressful experience with instant feedback about your performance. This will enable you to see firsthand what improvements are needed both in your ability to describe your experiences and strengths in a concise yet complete manner, as well as in the area of nonverbal communication. This is the time to ask all those questions you have about interview etiquette and answering difficult questions. Simply call or stop in the Center to schedule an appointment.
/ Center for Career & Professional Development
The Center for Career & Professional Development is located on the corner of Grove and Home streets near the center of campus behind "The Rock."
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
M-F: 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Ryan Brechbill, Director
e / firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Strausser, Associate Director/Internship Coordinator
e / email@example.com
Marilyn Williams, Admin. Asst.
e / firstname.lastname@example.org
p / 614.823.1456
f / 614.823.3052
Center for Career & Professional Development
1 South Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081
Schedule an appointment