- Research and decide upon the career field(s) in which you want to gain practical experience
- Develop or update resume. See resume and cover letter samples here.
- Have your resume reviewed by a staff member in the CCPD. Walk-in hours (1-3 p.m. weekdays) are a great time for this. If walk-in hours do not work with your schedule, feel free to make an appointment.
- Search for opportunities
- Network with personal and family contacts, faculty, alumni and other professionals in your field of interest
- Make an appointment to develop an individual internship search strategy and learn about available resources
- Generate a list of “target organizations” in fields of interest; contact them to inquire about potential career-related experience
- See Internship Resources for other options
- Target your resume and cover letter to each specific organization and/or position
- Contact each organization within 1 to 2 weeks to confirm receipt of materials and inquire about their hiring timeline
- Prepare to interview
- Set up a practice interview with a staff member in the CCPD
- Research the organization
- Accept an offer
Once you accept an offer from an internship site, follow the instructions for Internships if you plan to receive academic credit or Professional Experiences if you do not want to receive academic credit.
Note: If you wish to receive academic credit for an internship, you need to identify a faculty sponsor the semester prior to the internship and work with him/her to complete the required paperwork.
/ Center for Career & Professional Development
The Center for Career & Professional Development is located on the corner of Grove and Home streets near the center of campus behind "The Rock."
M-F: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
M-F: 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Ryan Brechbill, Director
e / email@example.com
Ashley Strausser, Associate Director/Internship Coordinator
e / firstname.lastname@example.org
Marilyn Williams, Admin. Asst.
e / email@example.com
p / 614.823.1456
f / 614.823.3052
Center for Career & Professional Development
1 South Grove Street
Westerville, OH 43081
Schedule an appointment