What to bring
Before you come to campus:
- Verify that your computer is running Windows XP Home
or XP Professional or better. For Macs, run OS X 10.5.8 or better.
- Configure your computer so that it has automatic
Windows updates enabled.
- If you have shared folders on your computer, make
sure they contain no copyrighted material (such as
songs, pictures or movies). Computer shares are
discouraged due to the nature of spreading viruses.
Google Drive is encouraged for sharing files for
- Remove all malware from your computer
- Run Stinger to remove most common viruses.
- Using your antivirus software run a complete virus
scan on your computer and remove any found viruses.
If you do not have virus protection, install the free
Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Pack your computer.
- Pack all of your computer's documentation.
- Pack a CAT-5 Ethernet cable or better (12-20 foot
- Pack the power cables and AC adapters for all of
- Pack a surge protector/power strip.
- Pack the technical support telephone numbers for
your hardware and software manufacturers.
- Pack blank CD-RWs/DVD-RWs (optional).
- Pack your mass storage device (optional).
- Pack USB and Firewire cables (optional).
- Pack your printer (optional).
- Printer cable (if you're bringing a printer).
- Pack extra paper, toner or ink for your printer
(if you're bringing a printer).
- Pack your scanner or digital camera (optional).
- Pack a notebook lock (recommended).
- Pack all of your software's installation
discs. Pirated copies are not acceptable.
- Pack all of your software's CD/product keys for re-
Once you arrive on campus:
- Activate your Otterbein network account (you can
also do this before you arrive on campus). Be sure to
write down a password hint should you forget
- If you're living in a residence hall, plug the Ethernet cord
into the wall jack or use wireless.
- Connect your computer to the network; start up
your computer and start surfing.
- Visit the computer labs.
- Practice logging on to OZone (single sign-on
to all other resources) or the second way to navigate - individually to Blackboard,
Banner and Webmail via the main page and the Resources link in the upper right corner.
- Familiarize yourself with Google Apps and Google Drive.Use Google Drive to practice storing and sharing files in the cloud.
- Check out your Otternet page located in the A-Z index of
OZone. Find the links for web and home folders and your list of classes with pictures and names of your classmates!
/Student Help Desk
First floor of the Campus Center.
Mon.-Thurs.: 8:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m.
Fri.: 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Sat.: 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Summer: M-F, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Submit a Help Request
The Otterbein Web Help Desk system will allow you to submit requests, update requests, and search our FAQ database.
Log in to the Otterbein Help Desk System
will never ask for your password.
Any emails of a suspicious nature should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.